The World Packaging Organisation is pushing for world change with its new Position Paper about Packaging in Circular Economy, which it hopes will provide more detail and advice for members of the packaging industry globally, on the actions they can take and impact on.
Under the coordination of its Sustainability Committee, WPO (World Packaging Organisation) is releasing a Position Paper about Packaging in Circular Economy. According to the author, Antro Säilä, WPO Vice President Sustainability, from Finland, “in order to ensure that the world remains sustainable for the future human generations, we have no other alternative but to learn to live in a circular economy”.
WPO Position Paper aims to highlighting the issue of a circular economy and the role(s) of packaging within it. The document is based on recent data and research carried out by numerous scientists and “think-tanks” around the world. “The end of this paper deals with current and envisaged role of WPO in a circular economy context”, completes.
After passing through the concept of Circular Economy, based on Ellen McArthur Foundation´s definition – design out waste and pollution; keep products and materials in use; regenerate natural systems – WPO Position Paper describes the possible roles of packaging in the context as being:
1. Packaging can contribute to reduce waste and thus making a circular economy more efficient (eg. by prolonging shelf life or protecting packaged goods).
2. Packaging can be reused (eg. b2b transport packaging inside and/or between industries and trade or in deposit systems in b2c trade).
3. Packaging materials can be recycled.
4. High energy content packaging (e.g. fibre and plastic) can be used for energy generation when it can no longer be reused or recycled.
Due to this deep research, Antro Säilä defines as WPO’s belief: “WPO believes that the world must change. We must be determined and move quickly from a linear economy to a circular economy in order to maintain the world sustainable for the future human generations.”
WPO President, Pierre Pienaar, adds: “Sustainability is most important to the WPO and we are most pleased that this Position Paper has been presented by WPO VP Sustainability, Antro Säilä. Antro is a passionate advocate for the role that packaging can play in protecting and promoting sustainability. He is well connected with global stakeholders, across industries, and often sought after for his opinion on the subject.”
The complete version of the new WPO Position Papers on Circular Economy is available, for download, at WPO webpage www.worldpackaging.org.
- Products2019.01.02Mondi continues to innovate with next generation Bag-in-Box technical films
- Products2019.01.02Mondi flexible packaging “leapfrogs” ahead in the recycling game
- Products2019.01.02Swanline Paper and Board creates a splash with launch of Cygnus® Eco Board
- Products2019.01.02Selig launches revolutionary heat seal