Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) has joined forces with Milton Keynes Council to develop and support a project to improve local recycling through education and community participation.
The Recycle for Your Community scheme, being trialled between April and August 2013, involves select local groups and organisations from two areas of the Milton Keynes borough engaging directly with friends, family and neighbours to share information and collect ‘recycling pledges’ from households.
Six separate community groups from the Netherfield and Coffee Hall areas have now been recruited and given specialist training, to understand what happens to materials collected for recycling in their community. The groups carry out a small survey with each resident to find out what they are and are not recycling, give them help and advice and collect pledges from them to recycle more. They re-contact them at a later date to monitor progress made in relation to the local recycling services available. Financial incentives of up to £1,500 will be awarded to organisations based on the number and impact of pledges. Bonuses are given to the groups if recycling goes up and non-recyclable refuse goes down.
CCE and Milton Keynes Council worked together to submit a joint application to DEFRA, securing core funding to carry out the pilot scheme, which aims to test a number of key principles including:
• The power of peer-to-peer relationships and impact of pledging in encouraging recycling behaviour change
• The impact of financial incentives, that assist community good causes, in mobilising local groups and engaging communities in recycling
• The impact of improved local knowledge in the areas of local collection processes and what happens to materials once recycled
Nick Brown, Recycling Associate Director of Coca-Cola Enterprises, said: “We strongly believe in the power of collaboration and relationships in encouraging positive behaviour change. CCE is committed to improving the standards of recycling in the home, both through the collection processes available and by raising awareness amongst householders.”
- Products2019.01.02Mondi continues to innovate with next generation Bag-in-Box technical films
- Products2019.01.02Mondi flexible packaging “leapfrogs” ahead in the recycling game
- Products2019.01.02Swanline Paper and Board creates a splash with launch of Cygnus® Eco Board
- Products2019.01.02Selig launches revolutionary heat seal